While working on creating “Dreadful Delights” soaps, which took a few days since I needed layers to dry in between, things went from starting out well to very unpleasant. *laugh*
So, I got things ready on my cafeteria tray (SO much easier to have molds on that and be able to move the setting soaps without them wrinkling or popping open nearly as often!!). I used the custom scent wheel, which has a total of 10 ratio of blotter sticks that can then be converted to your recipe. So each clothespin held the amount of ratio of scent I planned to use – four of Vanilla Brownie, 3 of Bakery, 2 of Fudge Brownie, and 1 of Honey Nut. Then I was able to wave combos of them together to make sure the whole group mixed and then which worked together to make the icing for the Dreadful icing. *smile* I can’t keep all those sticks in order without a lot more work than putting each scent in a clothespin. *laugh* And I was excited to use some of my micas for the first time. The cakes came out amazing to me, with mixed reactions over what scents were detected, and I let them set longer because they’re some big and heavy soaps.
If it wasn’t a weird hour when I took this picture, the lighting would be better. *laugh* There’s a slight shimmer to the broad as light hits it, but without having light on them, they look like delicious little chocolate cakes!
That’s when it all went wrong.
I made the icing to drizzle and let it cool in the measuring cup until it would thicken instead of just running off and pulling. I even added some creative cubes of “flavor” for the monster, with some decay, gelatinous goo, and dry blood. However, it was close enough in color it just looked like more of itself instead of the black fudge drizzle, so I added some “blood” to the icing. Turns out that red, black, and brown can make a very unfortunate choice of colors. I persisted, thinking maybe thicker rivers of icing down the edges would bring them back to what’s in my mind.
Um, no. It just made it so gross that I don’t feel comfortable showing the end results because it’s slightly nauseating. *laugh*
So, I’ll melt down the whole caboodle, although it’ll have a little different color, pour the cakes again, and then maybe do straight up red icing. Maybe I’ll make a brain soap to chop for the top of the Monster one, so you see the wrinkled brain pouring out of the bundt center, and it can go in just the Zombie group, instead of working for all monsters.
At least I got three other soaps all done while waiting for the icing to cool enough, so not an epic fail this time. *grin* I’ve been on an iZombie ™ marathon for a few days, so I like the idea of a zombies only combo to be available for enthusiasts. Let’s just hope the icing comes out better this time so I can actually show a picture of them. *cracking up*
I hope you have a dreadfully delightful day! 🙂
Monsters don’t have to have red involved. For kids especially you can do the brown cakes and then do neon blue or green icing with flecks of red or what have you as a garnish on top. Then you could name them Blueberry blood cakes or something depending on what the colors are… then again if you named it that you would have to add the fruity stuff to the smell… I am too tired to be very creative at the moment. LOL
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’ve been thinking of doing regular and then Monster versions of the products I’m doing, so that helped me make that decision. 🙂 I def plan to do a neon green bubble wash for kids, so that one is set. I have a small waffle mold coming soon, which I definitely plan to do a double version of, since that would have rocked my world to get a soap waffle in my stocking when younger. Now I want one with slivers of brain soap in the syrup. LOL