Whenever I make refried beans I always make extra so we can make these tacos. Tacos are always a hit and these bean tacos are perfect for a meatless meal. My 10 year old is a little carnivore and she doesn’t even notice the lack of meat. Now that’s saying something! Recently I tried making these tacos with canned refried beans and with a little additional seasoning they were great! Since that takes a 2 step meal to 1 that’s the recipe I’m sharing.
Crunchy Bean Tacos
yield: 15 tacos
1 (15oz) can Refried Black Beans
1/2 cup minced red onion
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
6 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
15 corn tortillas
- In a medium bowl, add beans along with red onion, cilantro, and spices. Add a pinch of salt and mix all ingredients together. Mix in your cheese.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, add a couple Tbsp of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add one corn tortilla at a time and let each get hot in the oil for a few seconds. Then add about 2 Tbsp of the bean filling to half of the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla in half, forming a shell, and gently press down until it holds its shape. Set aside. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Add as many tacos back to the skillet as will fit. You may need to add some more oil. Cook about 3 minutes per side until they are nicely browned and crispy.
- When flipping the taco to cook on the other side use a spatula and flip the taco toward the fold so the fillling does’t fall out.
- Serve tacos with toppings like hot sauce, salsa, avocados, and sour cream.
Corn tortillas are resilient to heat. Don’t worry about burning them. They are very flexible. Just be sure to cook them on each side long enough to get them really crispy.